Learning a new language is one of the most difficult but also most crucial tasks that immigrants face when moving to a new country. Developing comprehension as well as competence in speaking is key to achieving integration across multiple domains: economic, social, cultural, civic, and more.In ESL classes students can learn what will be required of them when they apply for jobs in the U.S. Knowing the expectations of employers will ease the difficult task of finding employment.
ESL classes students have the opportunity to gain familiarity with native speaker speech and the strategies for coping with it. This will be crucial if immigrants are to integrate easily into society or the workplace. Both established and new residents will feel more comfortable and avoid misunderstandings and tension if there is good communication between them.
Probably the best effect is that ESL classes will ultimately assist immigrants’ ability to find work, to have an income to buy goods and services, to pay taxes and to live cohesively within the community. Without ESL classes this may not occur.
Type of ESL Classes
The reasons for taking ESL classes are many and varying
- ESL classes help all immigrants improve their English.
- ESL classes help immigrants to find work
- ESL classes help students cope with native speakers.
- ESL classes teach about the opportunities, rights and responsibilities of living in the U.S.
- ESL classes provide an environment to teach about racial tolerance and multiculturalism
- ESL classes contribute to the alleviation of poverty
- ESL classes contribute to the growth of the economy
- ESL classes contribute to the alleviation of unemployment
- ESL classes demonstrate human rights in action
- ESL classes demonstrate support for social cohesion
American citizenship is the dream of many, and the Welcome Center offers classes for those on the path of citizenship. These classes will prepare you for the history examination administered by the INS, and the interview. You will receive the 100 questions based on INS History/Government. A complimentary citizenship preparation book and cassette at the time of registration.
The Benefits of Become a Citizen
- The right to vote and hold public office
- Access to jobs with local, state, and federal governments
- Enhance access to institutions of higher education grants and scholarships
- The right to immigrate immediate relatives
- The right to travel out of the country for unrestricted periods of time.
Welcome to web based course on basic online skills. Our goal is to give you a solid foundation. We offer computer courses for adults, seniors, teenagers, and children, which include comprehensive training from basic to advanced computer skills. Our goal is to teach you what you need to know, using patient, experienced and friendly instructors. Once you have understood these basics, you will have a clear understanding on which to build your future knowledge of and skill with computers and the Internet.
This course is divided into four separate modules:
- Computer Skills
- E-Mail Skills
- Word Processing Skills
- Web Skills
Putting Kids First
Parenting can be a pleasure or a pain
- Teach your child to be responsible and respectful
- Raise children who can think for themselves and exert self-discipline
- Choose appropriate consequences for inappropriate behavior
- Recognize their own stress and particular techniques to de-stress
- Understand developmental stages
- Effectively communicate and listen
- Encourage and focus on the child’s strengths and assets